Solutions Design Manager
This position reports to the Director of Solutions Design and is responsible for supporting and leading new process management, pricing and implementation in all areas of operations, in such verticals as forward distribution, e commerce fulfillment, and pick and pack operations. Responsibilities include development and implementation of technical solutions, and overall optimization of space, labor, and equipment to meet new client requirements or as continuous improvement opportunities in existing operations. This “hands on” position will lead mid-level to complex projects, provide guidance to operations leaders, and spend considerable time “on the floor”, directly interfacing with various levels of the operations team and customers.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Promote company values of Trust, Team and Opportunity and operating mission of SCOPE!: Safety – Customers – Operations – People - Execution, through hands on, daily involvement in operations throughout ODW.
- Assist Business Development process in RFP responses, including solution concepts and design
- Conducts project scoping that is focused on meeting the strategic needs of the customer and that optimizes existing activities.
- Assume project management responsibilities, as necessary.
- Leads analysis activities and needs assessments, to meet ODW business objectives by delivering quantifiable results
- Review labor performance, reporting methods, forecasts, systems, and procedures to ensure productivity is meeting objectives of proposed design and costing
- Produce and maintain CAD layouts of new design concepts
- Partner with industry vendors to create cutting edge warehouse fulfillment concepts
- Prepare cost estimates for proposed projects and evaluate cost factors
- Review, interpret and analyze customer data to design best a practice solution
- Accountable for project completion and performance, including targeted budgetary spend and ROI.
- Strategic short & long term planning for resource requirements including space, labor, and equipment.
- Maximize safety, service, quality, and productivity throughout operations by utilizing best practice techniques in the areas of facilities layout, methods, material handling concepts, and measurements.
- Provide Senior Management with data and recommendations to make effective decisions regarding the optimum utilization of people, materials, equipment, facilities, and resources.
- Be adept at retrieving and researching data from various sources (WMS, TMS, and Shipping Systems) and translate into meaningful information to support action plans.
- Facilitate the sharing of best practices throughout ODW.
- Ability to travel and support other ODW campuses & operations as required (30%)
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients, managers, teammates, and prospective customers.
- Extreme proficiency in MS Office Suite products as well as MS Project and AutoCAD.
- Must be hands on and have previous experience with facility layout and inventory management
- Can not be remote, must be able to work in Columbus at Corporate.
- Ability to learn software programs quickly, with previous RF experience
- Strong project management and analytical abilities
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
- Experience with multi-shift operations
- Experience with automated fulfillment centers
- Experience with costing/pricing models
- Prior planning experience including budgets, manning, equipment, and facilities
- Thorough understanding of the 3PL industry
- Must possess a high energy level and the drive to implement change
- A degree in Logistics, Industrial Engineering or related operations discipline is required.
- 3 years min. in Solutions Design.
- Must have 3PL experience.
- Experience in LEAN and ISO
- Experience with pricing/costing activities in an operational setting
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K