Transportation Safety Manager
The Transportation Safety Manager will provide technical expertise to Dist -Trans operation. The position will touch every aspect of the operation and will be responsible for ensuring the company is in compliance with all Federal and State transportation laws as well as providing metrics to prove the compliance. In addition this position will be intimately involved in the hiring, retention, training, and continued development of our driving force.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Reviews and audit driver's logs and maintains compliance with current ELD mandates.
- Monitors CSA scores and involve Human Resources to ensure discipline is consistent.
- Develops and implements driver safety training programs to ensure safety is a priority with all associates.
- Identify and direct training for drive rs and management to include new driver orientation, corrective action, remedial and ongoing training.
- Carries out on-site training and evaluation of all new hires and existing employees concerning the safety and operation of assigned equipment.
- Complies with all other procedures out lined in the Operations & Procedure Manual, FMCSR, DOT and IWLA.
- Creates and monitors key safety procedures and policies and advises management as to when act ion is required.
- Creates and reports key safety metrics to internal management.
- Uses knowledge to FMSCA and state DOT laws and regulations to support to ensure Dist-Trans’s operational and documentation processes are compliant with the laws.
- Periodically audits operations and processes to ensure compliance with company programs and Federal / State DOT regulations Maintains involvement in Trucking Associations and keeping management informed of new regulations.
- Performs accident investigation s and determine root cause, ensure record keeping is done after investigation come to a close.
- Advises Dist-Trans management of regulatory changes with which the organization must comply. Provides sufficient advance notice to assure compliance on the effective date of new regulations.
- Monitors lost-time injuries/illnesses and Worker's Compensation Claims for Dist-Trans.
- Maintains corporate safety library (e.g. videos, regulations, reference manuals).
- Supports the driver recruitment process by supporting the interview process, performing road tests and ensuring driver qualification packets are complete and accurate.
- Monitors the Smart Drive system and provide immediate coaching to drivers where required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or at least 4 year of relevant experience.
- Valid Class A Commercial Driver's License preferred.
- In depth knowledge of the FMSCA and CSA 2010 rules and regulations.
- Strong analytical and organization abilities.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite products.
- DOT regulation/ Hours of Service understanding.
Minimum Physical Requirements
- Workweeks in excess of 40 hours may exist periodically through the year.
- General office working conditions
- People Focused: Recognize that having great people is the ultimate competitive advantage.
- Customer Driven: Deliver the optimal customer experience (internal and external).
- Business Acumen: Learn and apply position expertise and industry knowledge.
- Results Driven: Show personal desire, energy and focus to succeed against high standards.
- Innovative: Think differently and be innovative for better business results.