Plaskolite Sees $2M in Annual Savings With Optimized Transportation Solution
Ensuring you’re ready to scale efficiently can be a daunting task for any business. Staffing issues, warehousing for all your products, distribution and fulfillment costs, and more all come into play.
With the right third-party logistics (3PL) provider, however, your supply chain doesn’t need to be a hindrance to scaling your business.
Plaskolite, a leading manufacturer of thermoplastic sheets, was scaling quickly and needed a 3PL that could provide innovative solutions to optimize their $40M annual transportation spend.
Their challenges included:
- Poor supply chain visibility due to insufficient data gathering
- Limited technology to provide innovative shipping and transportation solutions
- Multiple acquisitions that increased supply chain complexity
Plaskolite needed a 3PL to help them reimagine what its supply chain could look like. ODW Logistics provided the following:
- Network Analysis: ODW’s Network Analysis identified gaps in Plaskolite’s current transportation strategy and proposed alternative solutions to optimize costs and shipping efficiencies.
- Dynamic Bid Management: ODW leveraged best-in-class technology, more effectively used available data, and accessed its large network of carriers to both reduce costs and deliver better service.
- Dedicated Strategic Account Team: ODW implemented a dedicated account team of senior transportation specialists to align with Plaskolite’s goals and optimize supply chain solutions. ODW also provided strategic support, which included shifting the focus from the short-term goal of driving rate savings to improving overall supply chain efficiency.
- Shipping Optimization: ODW improved accuracy and process efficiency via a fully integrated EDI solution. ODW implemented order entry process changes, improved production and shipping schedule visibility, and combined smaller loads into cost-saving full-truckload shipments.
- Labor Savings: Plaskolite saved $120,000 annually in labor costs (the equivalent of three FTEs).
- Scaled Support: ODW Logistics scaled to meet Plaskolite's growth, adding 14,000 shipments in two months with no disruption to service.
- Transportation Savings: $2.1M in 2020 | $2.3M in 2019